Our 2016 Word for the year...

Our 2016 Word for the year...

Postby cedargirl » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:35 am

Hello ladies! It is that time of year where one starts to ponder new goals and hopes for the new year. For many years now, some of us have chosen a word that will inspire us, a focus for the new year. This whole idea originated from Ali Edwards blog: http://aliedwards.com/projects/one-little-word

This word should be something that represents a focus you want to have in the coming year. For example, Calm, Joy, Adventure, Thrift, Whole, Health, Read, Pray, Simplicity....
something that motivates you. I encourage you to take some time to mull over the idea. You may be surprised how one little word can be a seed that blossoms into the fruit you wish to bare in your life.

My 2016 word is: LIGHT
It caught my ear as Judy Garland sang, "...let your heart be light,"
and it popped up in scripture, in thoughts of eating better and lighter,
in wanting light in so many ways... the word draws me as I look at the lights twinkling on the tree. It has a few meanings for me.
{pinecones&lace blog}
Word for 2016: LIGHT
Project Life page count:
cedargirl

Re: Our 2016 Word for the year...

Postby holidayelf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Tania...great thread, thanks for starting it.

The word that has popped into my head several times lately and will be my word for 2016, is: GRACE I want to add grace to all areas of my life in the next year (and maybe even find new ways to add 'gracenotes' to my daily living). I've also had an unword each year, but nothing has popped yet for me with that. I'll post it when something does (or perhaps I'll end up without an unword for next year)...guess I wait and see.
Judi

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup" ~~Anon.

2017 Word: BITTERSWEET

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/powerpinner12
holidayelf

Postby mommyelf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Breathe

I get worked up and overwelmed sometimes. This year I want to learn to take a breathe. Listen and breathe. Breathe and me one with the moment. Breathe and eat slowly, carefully. Breathe and exercise my body.

Grace is a beautiful word- I think that will be a wonderful word for the year
mommyelf

Postby orangesforadam » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Love this so much! I'm going to stick my word from this year, Settled. I reached that in a few areas, but there have been quite a few changes, epiphanies, even, that helped me grow so I'm going to continue my journey to being Settled. :)

Word for 2016: Settled
orangesforadam

Postby cedargirl » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:39 pm

holiday elf, grace, such a beautiful word. I once read a bit by Ann Voscamp about self-grace, that stopped me in my tracks. The idea of granting myself grace in short-comings seemed so foreign. I have been very hard on myself at times.

mommyelf, breathe, very good word. Imagine how much more we would be able to see and experience, how we might choose differently, if we just took time to breathe.

Oranges, settled, I really liked that word when you chose it last year. It seemed to lend itself on learning contentment too. Did you find that? I bet you really get the settling you are looking for, focusing on that wonderful thought more!
{pinecones&lace blog}
Project Life page count:
cedargirl

Postby orangesforadam » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:13 am

[quote="cedargirl"]
Oranges, settled, I really liked that word when you chose it last year. It seemed to lend itself on learning contentment too. Did you find that? I bet you really get the settling you are looking for, focusing on that wonderful thought more![/quote]

Thanks! A few years ago when things weren't so great in my life (internal struggles) I realized that "contentment doesn't mean life is on hold" and that really helped me to understand that I can be happy where I am, but still strive for better and happier! I think I'll cross stitch that on a pillow! I understand contentment now, but still need to talk myself into on occasion, if that makes sense. :)

orangesforadam

Postby Downundermum » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:19 am

I've been intrigued by this but didn't really know if it was for me. But I think I will also choose a word. I was thinking about RENEW but I don't know that I want everything new. I'm quite happy with large parts of my life. I think I will choose REFRESH. I do feel a need to refresh some parts of my life. My home could do a freshen up. My job could do with a freshen up. My wardrobe could do with a refresh. I have some relationships that could be freshened up. And I look forward to having some short breaks next year so that I can get refreshed.
Word for 2016: REFRESH
Downundermum
Swap Hostess

Postby mommyelf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:44 am

[quote="Downundermum"]I've been intrigued by this but didn't really know if it was for me. But I think I will also choose a word. I was thinking about RENEW but I don't know that I want everything new. I'm quite happy with large parts of my life. I think I will choose REFRESH. I do feel a need to refresh some parts of my life. My home could do a freshen up. My job could do with a freshen up. My wardrobe could do with a refresh. I have some relationships that could be freshened up. And I look forward to having some short breaks next year so that I can get refreshed.[/quote]

That's fantastic! We should refresh parts of our life to keep them healthy.

Contentment is a great one. Sometimes it's hard to just stop and let things be good and happy as they are
mommyelf

Postby holidayelf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:19 pm

I love seeing the words each of us choose and hearing the reasons why. Years ago I read a book by one of my favorite authors (Alexandra Stoddard) called Gracenotes. It stuck with me and I decided that grace could cover so many areas of my life this year. In looking up the meaning in the dictionary, I liked these:

1. Elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion or action.
2. Pleasing or attractive quality.
3. Favor or goodwill.
Judi

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup" ~~Anon.

holidayelf

Postby SNRPMom » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:32 am

I'm going to have to think about this one some more. With the things I know to be coming up this year (and the myriad things that come up in our lives without notice) I will need a pretty dynamic word. I keep having military motivational phrases running through my head. :wink3: Hmmm... Maybe I'll use one of those.
LJ

http://www.snrproject.com

~The Magic of Christmas never ends because of the gift of family and friends~
SNRPMom

Postby cedargirl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:18 am

Oranges, that totally makes sense. And, a pillow is a great idea!

Downundermum, yay! Refresh is a great word and it seems to point you in the directions on how you hope to apply it too. So good to see you.

Holiday Elf, ooooooh nice! I think I will get my word definition printed out too.

SNRPmom, when I think of heavy loads coming up, I remember my word a few years back, EXHALE. And funny enough, That song from the old children's Christmas special, Santa Claus is Coming to Town: "Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walkin'..."
Santa sings it to the Winter Warlock who wants to change. In front. Possibly you dynamic word needs to come from how you want to respond to the next 10 months?
{pinecones&lace blog}
Project Life page count:
cedargirl

Postby orangesforadam » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Judi-elf, my word for the year doesn't have as elegant a definition as yours, but you've inspired me to print it out and get it up in plain view! Thanks!

orangesforadam

Postby holidayelf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:37 pm

[quote="orangesforadam"]Judi-elf, my word for the year doesn't have as elegant a definition as yours, but you've inspired me to print it out and get it up in plain view! Thanks![/quote]

:orange:
Judi

holidayelf

Postby pohutukawa » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 pm

I read this thread with interest when it was first put up. I have never had a word for the year and although I tried to think of one at the beginning of the year nothing would come to mind except either very clich├ęd ones , or corporate training words!

However, over the last couple of days one word has been drifting in and out of my brain:

MINDFULNESS
I think this will work well for me this year in lots of areas of my life.
Being mindful about the food I eat, and looking after my body. Mindful of the best way to spend my time on any particular day. Mindful of other people and the relationships I have with them. Mindful of the money I spend. Taking time to be still and mindful of the world around me - hearing the birdsong, appreciating the flowers in the garden. Being mindful and thankful for how blessed I really am with my life.

So mindful it is
pohutukawa

Return to Getting to Know You!